Blinken to Promote Cease-Fire Proposal During Mideast Tour

WASHINGTON (NEWSnetAP) — Secretary of State Antony Blinken will return to the Middle East next week for his eighth diplomatic mission to the area since the Israel-Hamas war began in October.
The State Department said in its announcement Friday that Blinken will push for a breakthrough on President Joe Biden’s cease-fire proposal.
Blinken, who is currently in France accompanying Biden on a state visit timed to the 80th anniversary of the D-Day invasion during World War II, will fly from Paris to Cairo on Monday to meet Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and other officials before traveling to Israel, Jordan and Qatar, the department said.
Blinken will then go to Italy to join Biden at the summit for the Group of Seven advanced economies.
In all of his meetings, Blinken “will emphasize the importance of Hamas accepting the proposal on the table, which is nearly identical to one Hamas endorsed last month” and “discuss how the cease-fire proposal would benefit both Israelis and Palestinians,” State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said.
In Israel, Blinken will meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other officials. In Jordan, he will participate in an emergency international conference on aid to Gaza, and in Qatar he will meet with officials who are attempting to mediate the cease-fire deal.
Biden, Blinken and other U.S. officials have lobbied Arab nations heavily to use what influence they have with Hamas to get it to accept the deal that the president announced last week.
Follow NEWSnet on Facebook and X platform to get our headlines in your social feeds.
Copyright 2024 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.